From plot holder Cathy Kiddle.
- 1lb cooked beetroot
- 1lb onions
- 2 tbs fresh grated horseradish (or a bit of sauce)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbs dry mustard
- 1tsp white pepper
- ½ lb sugar
- 1 pint white vinegar
- Prepare and cook the beetroot in the usual way by boiling in water until they are soft, then peel and chop roughly into small pieces.
- Put in a preserving pan with the chopped onions and horseradish and half the vinegar. Cook until the onions are soft.
- Mix together the mustard and a little vinegar and add this paste to the pan with the rest of the vinegar, the sugar, salt and pepper.
- Simmer until the chutney is a good consistency.
- Bring to the boil for 5 minutes, pour into jars and cover.
Nice with fish and many other dishes.