From plot holder Helen Swan.
A French provençal recipe, informal and open to adaptation, depending on what you’ve got around. From Elizabeth David’s Mediterranean Cookery.
- Chard or Spinach, and Courgette – finely chopped and must be softened in olive oil
- Optional additions: other veg, onion, eggs raw or hard boiled, anchovies or other fish, garlic, rice, chickpeas.
- Gratin topping ie. crumbs, ground nuts, seasoning, grated cheese or whatever.
- Season the veg to taste
- Put into an oven dish, ideally an earthenware provençal ‘tian’, but never mind if you don’t have one!
- Sprinkle gratin topping.
- Bake around gas 4-5, around 30 mins.
It is traditionally eaten cold on picnics, but you can eat it hot for dinner. It’s surprisingly filling.